Outside the fold (courtsey: Gauri Viswanathan's book title)

There was a time when everybody asked me, “What happened?” I mumbered: “nothing”. I was in a simple time of coma. Not biological, but something different. Then, I asked myself, ‘what happened to me?’ I too had no answer. I am a father. Am about 50, hardly remember my b’day. Neither have a memorable birthday, nor do I have an official record of proof for that. I am an illiterate, but practically boasting to be literate in life. People call me Mathai. You might think about the nasaranite taste of my name. Yes, am a nasarani, hail from central Travancore of Kerala. I go Church, every Sunday.

Am a farmer of 100 rubber trees. Academicians might call me middle-class bourgeois, benefiting from the global market fluctuations. I am not bothered about my identity. I know that I exist in this world. Heard that am very decisive in forthcoming elections. Democracy made me a capital for electioneering. Now the fear is about identity-communalism. Am not a person to care this ‘media-constructed’ hypes of controversies. I need daily bread and butter. You may call me escapist or opportunist. Yes, am. I am brought up like this, and myself and my life history is not radical in nature. I too had a dream: about my children, my family, my land, my grand-generation, and my simple legacy.

Dreams are nullified promises. Martin Luther King told me, in a dream, that American people discussed nearly half a century to give him due respect by electing a President to represent the black American aspirations. Time also told me the same about recognition. I am alive, a waste for the world. After my death, I will get a 6 feet tomb with marble inscriptions codifying my life in two line numbered letters.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Setting an Ideal Retirement Age

Freedom and the Role of Libertarian Think-tanks in India

Latin Catholic community of Kerala: Role in 2016 Assembly Elections